Systems Analyst/Supervisor - Information Technologist 5 (AESES)
Existing Budget-Funded Continuing Full-Time
35.00 hours/week, 8:30am-4:30pm, Monday-Friday
Salary Range: $39.09 - $52.31 per hour ($71,143.80 - $95,204.20 per annum)
Proposed Start Date: March 30, 2020
Probation/Trial Period: 840.00 work hours
Since 1877, the University of Manitoba has been driving discovery and inspiring minds through innovative teaching and research excellence. Proudly located in the heart of Canada, the U of M has a strong and engaged community of students, faculty, staff, alumni, donors and community partners. With more than 140,000 alumni living in 137 countries, our impact is global.
The role that the University of Manitoba has evolved to fulfill is unique within the province, as are the impacts it can have in meeting economic and social needs in the province and globally, the opportunities it is able to offer its students, and the connections it is able to forge with other institutions, organizations, and communities. The University's commitment to Indigenous achievement is notable in this regard; not only does it involve a focus on meeting the needs of Indigenous students, but also an intention to work with communities to address a range of pressing issues.
As a provider of information technology infrastructure, services and expertise, the role of Information Services & Technology (IST) is to support the teaching, learning, research, administrative and community service endeavors of the University of Manitoba community while continually embodying and fostering the values of Integrity, Teamwork, Collaboration, Accountability, Respect and Effectiveness in our work.
The Systems Analyst/Supervisor, reporting to the Manager of Infrastructure Maintenance, has responsibility for work orchestration of approximately 12 full-time unionized employees. These staff are responsible for operation and maintenance of the University’s centrally supported network, audio visual, telephony, and datacenter. The supervision work includes items such as: ticket queue coordination, work prioritization, work scheduling, issue management/escalation, etc. This should constitute 40% of time spent in this role. The incumbent is also responsible for providing technical support for the operation and maintenance of the network (alongside the other network sysadmins). This work includes items such as: incident tickets, service requests, patching, upgrades, adaptive maintenance and project work. This should constitute about 60% of the time spent in this role.
For more information, please contact:
IST Human Resources
University of Manitoba, Fort Garry Campus, Winnipeg MB, R3T 2N2
- Assigns and coordinates technical staff resources to address incidents, approved projects, and service requests - based on Manager defined parameters.
- Provides technical direction to other IST staff participating in the development, modification and implementation of new or revised IST policies, procedures and standards. Prepares final versions and oversees implementation.
- Coordinates responses for the identification and implementation of corrective actions, and patches/upgrades for significant issues.
- Works proactively with the Incident Manager to resolve issues and restore system functionality.
- Receives for resolution issues escalated from lower level IT classifications.
- Coordinates with other IST Teams, vendors, and Business Units during implementation of vendor supplied systems and upgrades.
- Coordinates with other teams (IST and Business Units) to ensure that work is done effectively and efficiently.
- Acts as a technical resource to other IST staff regarding the development of solutions in an SME (subject matter expert) role for enterprise solutions.
- Provides administration support as required within scope of responsibility (such as installation, configuration, tuning, provisioning, de-provisioning, monitoring, etc.)
- Designs, develops and tests new and/or modified enterprise-level solutions, ensuring they meet the client specifications and performance requirements, and delivered within effort estimates.
- Ensures work is done within the operational standards of the department and that solutions are compatible with other systems.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or required.
MINIMUM FORMAL EDUCATION/TRAINING REQUIRED:
- University degree or college diploma in a related discipline, or equivalent experience and education.
- Management/Supervisor diploma.
- Directly applicable industry certifications are an asset.
- 6 years of experience working in infrastructure as a network sysadmin performing investigation, configuration, design, development, maintenance and support, with enterprise level systems within a large business environment is required.
- 2 years of work experience in a supervisory role with a staff of 6 FTE or more is required.
- Experience with Project Management methodologies is an asset.
- Experience with Audio Visual Technology maintenance and support is an asset.
- Experience with Data Centre maintenance and support is an asset.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with users of varying levels of technical expertise.
- Demonstrated strong investigative skills to diagnose and resolve complex systems issues.
- Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and schedule complex projects and tasks.
- Demonstrated workload organization and prioritization skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of industry standards and good practices for network system installation, configuration and maintenance.
- Working knowledge of network hardware and software technology including; routers, switches, firewalls, application delivery controllers, wireless controllers, QoS, remote access VPN, B2B VPN, DNS and DHCP systems.
- Working knowledge of TCP/IP fundamentals and understanding of common network protocols including; TCP, UDP, HTTP, FTP, DNS, SIP, RTP.
- Demonstrated knowledge of network security and secure network configuration practices.
- Familiarity with network-based security technologies including network encryption, SSL offloading, intrusion prevention or detection systems, vulnerability scanning tools and web application firewalls.
- Demonstrated network troubleshooting skills including the ability to diagnose and resolve complex network configuration, hardware or software system problems.
- Would be an asset:
- Familiarity of IP-based unified communications and collaboration systems and supporting network protocols including SIP.
- Familiarity with infrastructure cable plant (copper and fibre).
- Knowledge of scripting using Python, Perl, Powershell or other scripting platform.
The University of Manitoba is a place where ideas are brought to life. Our faculty and staff make a difference throughout the campuses. We have close to 9,000 people in academic and staff positions, together working with and inspiring close to 30,000 students.
The U of M is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from women, racialized persons, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations and genders, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
The U of M promotes success through wellness, acknowledging the 'whole selves' faculty and staff bring to work each day. We support people to do their greatest work and be their best. At the U of M, you will discover programs that foster and support our mental, physical, emotional, spiritual and social well being
Experience top benefits, world-class facilities and a community that inspires one another to carve their own path. Join us and be part of something transformative.
Share our spirit of discovery and join our community today.
All candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
If you require accommodation supports during the recruitment process, please contact U of M's Diversity and Inclusion Facilitator, Valerie Williams at Valerie.email@example.com or 204-474-8371.
Application materials, including letters of reference, will be handled in accordance with the protection of privacy provisions of "The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy" (Manitoba). Please note that curriculum vitae will be provided to participating members of the search process.