Senior Linux System Administrator
Working within the IT Infrastructure department, this full-time permanent position will provide direct technical and administrative support to all aspects of Unix/Linux, VMWare, Backup and Recovery and Amazon Web Services environments for a multi-site 24-hour manufacturing environment.
The Sr System Administrator is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware, software and related infrastructure, including participation in technical research and development.
If you are a dedicated and driven individual, enjoy resolving problems and thrive in a fast-paced environment, and are looking for diverse experience and career advancement, we would like to consider your application.
What You’ll Do
- Responsible for general systems administration, including system configuration management, OS upgrades, security updates, and urgent system patching
- Work closely with Application Managers, Information Security, project managers, and software developers
- Determine requirements from other teams and direct Operating System, Database, Storage, and Network administrators to deliver the changes. i.e. additional SAN storage to expand volumes or replication of LUNs to disaster recovery site, firewall change requests, OS/DB security groups or layout of filesystems, etc.
- Review security reports and assess impacts to applications, databases, and users
- Create network and systems diagrams
- Lead OS/middleware/hardware upgrade projects
- Monitor filesystems and forecasting growth
- Write Korn/Borne/Bash shell scripts for logging and transferring files leveraging SFTP/FTPS/MFT/eMFT
- Familiar with *Nix environment management through command line for: storage management, process management, network mounts, routing, firewall testing, security settings, performance monitoring
- Identify and troubleshoot server and application performance issues with appropriate teams (DBA, OS/Server, Network, Storage, Development)
- Raise Service Now Change requests and coordinate the change during the scheduled window
- Take part in or lead Disaster Recovery exercises
- Optimize VMWare administration for hosting Linux VM Environment
- Passionate for technology and efficiency
- Highly motivated and self-starter who takes the initiative with minimal supervision along with the ability to effectively work in a collaborative team environment
- Continuous learner who goes above and beyond to get the job done
- Collaborative individual who communicates clearly in a timely fashion
- Team player who can juggle multiple tasks, with a proactive, “service-first” attitude combined with the ability to work independently on multiple projects with tight deadlines and minimal supervision
- An analytical, detail-orientated problem-solver who identifies risks and gaps through critical thinking
What You’ll Need
- Post-Secondary degree or diploma in a technical field, such as Engineering or Computer Science
- At least 3 years experience as a Unix/Linux system administrator
- Preference will be given to individuals who have led teams of administrators in the past
- Strong background in CentOS and other Linux enterprise operating systems; including automating installations and configuration management using Kickstart, Puppet or Ansible as well as identity management systems such as FreeIPA
- Experience working with VMWare ESXi, vSphere, vCenter and Site Recovery Manager, specifically in building and administering virtual infrastructure environments
- Understanding of networking concepts (i.e. VLANs, layer2/3 routing, access lists & load balancing) and mail flow and routing (Postfix, Sendmail) and monitoring tools (Nagios, Cacti, Zabbix) and scripting (Bash)
- Experience working with backup and recovery solutions such as CommVault, NetBackup, Veeam and/or Bacula/BareOS
- Working knowledge and background of products and services within Amazon Web Services (VPC, EC2, Cloud Watch, Cloud Trail, etc. and relevant scripting skills using CloudFormation, etc.) and/or demonstrative hosting-specific technical skills
- Familiarity with ITIL practices, such as change management, incident management, etc.
- Experience in Windows operating systems will be considered an asset
- Ability to travel within Canada and the USA
- Ability to work after-hours and on-call on a regular basis
- Experience with monitoring tools such as Sensu, Zabbix, or Prometheus is an asset
- Experience with Container technology such as Kubernetes, or Docker is an asset
- Experience with provisioning tools like Chef, Foreman and the like
Pollard Banknote Limited is an equal opportunity employer, committed to promoting and maintaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. Reasonable accommodations are available upon request.
We thank all candidates that apply, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Employment is contingent upon a satisfactory response from a Criminal Record Search.