The University of Manitoba is currently hiring for a Director of Technology Services. If you have a deep understanding of IT Operations, including infrastructure and applications, get satisfaction by building great teams and enabling people to reach their full potential, and enjoy building relationships with other leaders to drive results across the organization, and want to contribute to supporting Manitoba’s largest and most research intensive university, then you are a candidate for this role.
As the Director of Technology Services, you will be part of the Information Services and Technology (IST), a team of 190 information technology professionals supporting a diverse community of students, staff and faculty. An administrative unit reporting to the Vice-President Administration, IST provides a full suite of information technology (IT) services to the University at both campuses, Bannatyne and Fort Garry. You will head up a team of 90 IT staff in the application and infrastructure services domains. You will be part of the IST leadership team collaborating with Directors in Information Security and Compliance, Planning and Governance, and Engagement Services and the Chief Information Officer (CIO) to ensure IST enables the Universities’ strategic and operational goals.
What you will be responsible for:
- Development of Technology Services operational plans in support of the overall University and IST strategic plan including multi-year evergreening plans and financial proformas.
- Participation in the University-wide IT governance process to establish IT goals to meet the business needs of the University including co-chairing the Research Computing Advisory Council
- Liaising with senior stakeholders to ensure that services are aligned with university, faculty and department priority initiatives and needs.
- Providing advice to CIO and senior management of the University regarding application, infrastructure and research computing trends.
Financial Management –
- Making priority decisions on resource allocations of staff, funding and timelines to meet university strategic and operational objectives.
- Working with national agency on-site staff, ensuring research computing services are delivered to meet the needs of U of M researchers.
- Measuring and reporting on operational performance to the CIO and senior management/stakeholders.
- Establishing and maintaining strategic professional relationships with external agencies and vendors.
Human Resource Management –
- Development of the annual budget for the Technology Services unit.
- Management of the overall financial performance and variance explanations.
- Participation in the planning/development of capital equipment requests for IST.
Quality/Process Improvement –
- Conducting annual performance review and planning sessions with staff including setting performance objectives for direct reports.
- Providing coaching, mentoring and feedback to direct reports to improve performance.
- Support the organizational change management process within Technology Services.
- Ensuring that all activities within the section are operated in accordance with organizational policies (eg. human resource, finance, supply chain, administrative, etc.).
What you bring to the table:
- Providing thought leadership to improve the delivery and quality of service within the section and across IST and the U of Manitoba.
- Continually assessing the processes and outcomes of Technology Services and overseeing the development of initiatives to improve the capabilities of the section.
What University of Manitoba offers you:
- Minimum 5 years senior management experience heading organizations of at least 50 IT Full time staff.
- Minimum 10 years of IT infrastructure build and maintenance aggregate experience within the domains of networking, servers, storage, data center operations including back up and recovery.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in IT systems development and maintenance including various software development methods and tools.
- Collaborate well in a team environment.
- Support your team with coaching, mentoring and succession planning activities.
- Timely decision making.
- The ability to communicate clearly and concisely with a variety of audiences using both written and oral approaches.
- A strong business acumen within the IT domain with an emphasis on developing high value solutions.
- Experience with project and program management.
- Vendor management experience to ensure best value solutions and understanding of strategic roadmaps for key technologies.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Business Administration, or Engineering or other related technical discipline, or equivalent expertise/experience.
- Experience in a large educational or public sector organization, managing both unionized and non-union staff would be considered an asset.
Apply directly on UM Careers: https://viprecprod.ad.umanitoba.ca/DEFAULT.ASPX?REQ_ID=13025
- A collaborative and creative work environment that truly values and cares about their employees as people.
- Comprehensive benefits package including a University pension plan
- Professional development and education opportunities.
- Access to community engagement opportunities local, regional, national and international.
- Recognized as one of Manitoba’s Top Employers for eight consecutive years, and one of Canada’s Top Diversity Employers, the University of Manitoba is a place to build your career and your future.
If you have any questions, please contact our Hiring Manager or visit our Career Page for more opportunities! We are not able to hire (or sponsor) out-of-country applicants that do not have a current Permanent Resident Status or Work Visa.
The University of Manitoba is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from women, racialized persons, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations and genders, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
If you require accommodation supports during the recruitment process, please contact UM.Accommodation@umanitoba.ca or 204-474-7195. Please note this contact information is for accommodation reasons only.
Application materials, including letters of reference, will be handled in accordance with the protection of privacy provisions of "The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy" (Manitoba). Please note that curriculum vitae will be provided to participating members of the search process.